top of page
Downham & Stoke Ferry Railway
Welcome to www.Norfolksdisusedrailways.com
Downham & Stoke ferry branch line page
The Downham and Stoke Ferry Railway was just over 7 miles long It was authorised on 24 July 1879,
The Railway opened on the 1st August 1882, being worked by the Great Eastern Railway.
It ran from a junction with the GER at Denver
(to the south of Downham), to a terminus at Stoke Ferry.
There were two intermediate stations: Ryston and Abbey (latterly known as Abbey and West Dereham)
On the 22nd of September 1930 liner withdrew passengers services on the line.
Leaving only Freight services.
Freight Services started to close in 1964 at Denver then Ryston on 1964-Abbey 1966-Stoke Ferry 1965
The Wissington Light Railway From Abbey & West Dereham was a private line opened on 1905 & Started its Decline in 1957 mostly closing and fully closed in 1982
Please click below for the Wissington Light Railway page
Wissington Light Railway Page
bottom of page